Monday, June 30, 2014

Email - June 30, 2014

The American "store" last week was literally a shelf inside of a small store next to the U.S. consulate...BUT, that shelf was packed with Aunt Jemima's syrup, hot pockets, Totinos pizza rolls (I bought some in memory of Griff), Poptarts, club crackers, chunky beef soup, cream soda, Old Spice deodorant (a rare, precious find in Europe), and so much more I can't even begin to describe. It was herrlich. (wonderful)

 Mom, I feel ya on that one. The one sporting event I get to watch on TV in the last year and a half was barely worthy to be called a sport ("for those who can't")..and America lost. But it's all good, I'm not missing much. Every time someone scores a goal in the World Cup, the country goes nuts. So I’m up to date on all the latest happenings. :)

 I remember running into Elder Peatross, because I remember thinking "hey, I wonder if he's related to Jenny!" I'll have to say something next time I see him! Elder Kitchen says he totally knows Sister Mangum and he says hi! He also knew Lennon! By the way, I hope she's still doing well and loving it!

 Hahahaha Mom, that was a good one about the 4th! :) That brings back waaaayy too many memories! We'll be with an English family that night named the Southalls....so we'll definitely make a statement and make them sing the national anthem by the end of the night.

 And I drive the mission van now!!! My license came! 16 months without touching a steering wheel, and I could probably still land a solid 100% on my driving test with Mrs. Freestone. But as I'm sure Mase would agree, European roads are TINY.

 The Mini Mission went awesome this last week! There were two mini missionary sisters out here in Frankfurt, and I got the chance to talk with them and see how it all went and how they felt and get a feel for their whole experience. They loved it. This last Tuesday we had a street display which the mini missionaries were going to come to. They can only speak English, but there were going to be another 5 missionaries there who could speak German, so it was okay. But randomly, we were called and asked if we could take over for someone else back at the church and grill for the Relief Society, so we had to leave the two mini missionaries with two other sisters. Not gonna lie, I was pretty concerned what was gonna happen after we left. But when we came back, the result was totally different than I thought. In one and a half hours, they had given away 13 Books of Mormon, and they were PUMPED. And I heard stories like that from all the other companionships all week. So I'm thinking week one was a pretty big success. :) and week two starts this next Sunday!!

 We said goodbye to President Schwartz this week, and it was really bitter sweet. The change is exciting, but our last meeting, including singing "God Be With You Till We Meet Again" was pretty hard. But the sad feelings were replaced with happiness and excitement as soon as we met Pres. Stoddard. We were walking into the mission office when Pres. Schwartz's car pulled up, but someone else got out! "Hey Elders!" It was Pres. Stoddard. We all introduced ourselves, and Dad, he's very fond of you. He told me to tell you hi, and told me how great and inspirational of a man you are and were. That was news to me! Hahah I'm kidding.

 I don't have a ton of time left, but I want you all to know that I know that Christ lives, and did live. This week I was reading in third Nephi when Nephi prays asking the Lord what he should do, because all the believers are going to be killed if the sign of Christ's birth isn't given soon. Immediately after, the Lord says to him "13 Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets."

 As I read Christ's word as he says that he's coming into the world, I felt the Spirit so strong. So strong that I couldn't deny that feeling. I know that Christ lives, that he did live, and that he showed himself to the Nephites after his resurrection. He is there, waiting for us to come to him. We just need to take the first steps.

 Have a great week, and I'll see y'all soon!

 -- Elder McGinn

No comments:

Post a Comment